MindVision Software has announced a free license that makes their Installer VISE installation software available for free to freeware and shareware developers. Installer VISE 5.0.1 offers numerous advanced features, such as a Web-based installer, precise icon positioning, user-defined forms, integration with MindVision's Updater VISE technology, and online product registration. At a time when Apple is changing its developer support programs to focus on the 100 largest Macintosh developers (see "Furor Over Developer Programs & QuickTime" in TidBITS 425), it's good to see other members of the Macintosh industry helping out small developers.
Avoid Naming Pear Note Files
If you create a lot of documents, coming up with a name for them can sometimes be a hassle. This is especially true now that search is becoming a more prevalent way to find documents. Pear Note provides a way to have the application automatically generate a filename so you can avoid this hassle. To use this:
- Open Saving under Pear Note's preferences.
- Select a default save location.
- Select a default save name template (Pear Note's help documents all the fields that can be automatically filled in).
- Check the box stating that Command-S saves without prompting.
- If you decide you want to name a particular note later, just use Save As... instead.
Visit Useful Fruit Software