Claris Organizer Reincarnated as PalmPilot MacPac -- 3Com's Palm Computing division has announced plans to base the next version of its Macintosh desktop software for the PalmPilot and Palm III handhelds on Claris Organizer, which 3Com purchased from Apple for an undisclosed sum. (For more about the PalmPilot, see Jeff Carlson's recent series of articles.) The upcoming Palm MacPac should also include an extensible Macintosh HotSync conduit (essentially, the link that ferries data from Palm devices to the Mac), enabling developers to include support for Palm-based data in their applications. Registered owners of MacPac 1.0 will be able to download the new software in several months for free (it will be available online for 60 days after its release). New Palm device owners will be able to order the MacPac (which includes a cable adapter to work with Macintosh ADB ports) for $14.95. [JLC]
Search Snippets on the Fly in TextExpander
Have a large number of snippets and can't remember them all your abbreviations? Use TextExpander's Suggest Matching Abbreviations search feature. It makes finding your snippets fast and simple.
Set your hotkey combination by going to TextExpander > Preferences > Hotkeys. Once it's set, to use the Suggest Matching Abbreviations hotkey combination:
- Type a few characters of your snippet or its abbreviation.
- Press your hotkey combination immediately after typing the characters. (Don't enter a space before pressing the hotkey combination.)
- A popup menu appears with all snippets that contain the characters you typed. Scroll through them and click the one you want.
- FileMaker Pro 12 Updates Themes and Layout Capabilities (15 May 12)
- Palm Desktop Marks Return of a Familiar Organizer (01 Mar 99)
- Emailer and the Death of Software (12 Oct 98)
- Palm Organizer for Macintosh: Details Emerge (01 Jun 98)
- Crossed Chips and Cables (18 May 98)
- Crossed Chips and Cables (12 May 98)