Apple has released HyperCard 2.4.1, a minor update to its long-lived authoring and scripting tool. HyperCard 2.4.1 fixes problems when using HyperCard with drives larger than 2 GB, and removes the persistent display of the "Get QuickTime Pro" movie when using HyperCard 2.4 with QuickTime 3.0. (HyperCard 2.4 was released under Apple's original, poorly-received QuickTime 3.0 licensing terms; see "Apple Releases HyperCard 2.4" in TidBITS 427 and "Apple Revises QuickTime 3 Licensing" in TidBITS 430.) HyperCard 2.4.1 is available for $99 via the Apple Store; owners of HyperCard 2.3, 2.3.5, and 2.4 can download a free 5.2 MB update from Apple. HyperCard Player 2.4.1 (1.6 MB) is also available.
Record Online Meetings in Pear Note
While Pear Note is primarily geared toward recording notes in the physical world, it's possible to use it to record things in the virtual world as well. For instance, you can use it to record and take notes on Skype calls. To do this:
- Download Soundflower and install it (along with the Soundflowerbed app that comes with it).
- Download LineIn and install it.
- Start Soundflowerbed, and select Built-in Output (or whatever output you'd like to listen to the conversation on).
- Start LineIn, and select your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the input and Soundflower (2ch) as the output, then press Pass Thru.
- Open Pear Note Preferences, select Recording, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio device.
- Open Skype Preferences, select Audio, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio output and your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the audio input.
- Hit record in Pear Note and make your Skype call.
This will allow you to conduct your Skype call while Pear Note records both your audio and the other participant's.
Visit Useful Fruit Software
- Apple Releases HyperCard 2.4 (27 Apr 98)