Symantec Ships Norton Utilities 4.0 -- After a lengthy period of public beta testing, Symantec Corporation has released Norton Utilities for Macintosh 4.0, featuring support for both Mac OS 8.5 and the HFS+ disk format introduced more than six months ago with Mac OS 8.1. (See "All About Macintosh Extended Format (HFS Plus)" in TidBITS-414.) Along with a revised user interface, Norton Utilities components are now PowerPC-native for improved performance, and Norton Unerase can attempt to recover entire folders as well as individual files. Of course, Norton Utilities still features the widely used Disk Doctor and Speed Disk utilities for disk repair and optimization, and a bootable data recovery CD-ROM. Norton Utilities for Macintosh 4.0 should be priced around $100, and requires System 7.5.5 or greater and 16 MB of RAM. Although Symantec's initial press release claimed the new version would work with 68040-based Macs, Norton Utilities 4.0 is available only for PowerPC-based Macs. Symantec says owners of previous versions will be able to upgrade for $50. [GD]
Record Online Meetings in Pear Note
While Pear Note is primarily geared toward recording notes in the physical world, it's possible to use it to record things in the virtual world as well. For instance, you can use it to record and take notes on Skype calls. To do this:
- Download Soundflower and install it (along with the Soundflowerbed app that comes with it).
- Download LineIn and install it.
- Start Soundflowerbed, and select Built-in Output (or whatever output you'd like to listen to the conversation on).
- Start LineIn, and select your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the input and Soundflower (2ch) as the output, then press Pass Thru.
- Open Pear Note Preferences, select Recording, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio device.
- Open Skype Preferences, select Audio, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio output and your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the audio input.
- Hit record in Pear Note and make your Skype call.
This will allow you to conduct your Skype call while Pear Note records both your audio and the other participant's.
Visit Useful Fruit Software
- All About Macintosh Extended Format (HFS Plus) (26 Jan 98)