StarNine Announces WebSTAR Server Suite 4.0 -- StarNine Technologies has announced WebSTAR Server Suite 4.0, the next version of its WebSTAR Internet server package. WebSTAR Server Suite 4.0 will include a new integrated email server (supporting SMTP, POP, and IMAP) and the capability to publish FileMaker and ODBC databases to the Web, in addition to WebSTAR's core suite of Web, FTP, and proxy servers. WebSTAR's database publishing capabilities are based on Blue World Communications' forthcoming Lasso Web Publisher 3.5, a subset of the full Lasso 3.5 Web Data Engine that enables turn-key publishing of database-driven Web resources. WebSTAR Server Suite 4.0 also integrates SSL encryption for sites conducting net commerce, supporting more certificate formats and encryption technologies (including Server Gated Cryptography). In addition, a redesigned intelligent caching system and other low-level enhancements should offer substantial performance improvements - according to StarNine, overall performance should be double that of current versions of WebSTAR, with data transfer rates as much as five times faster. WebSTAR Server Suite 4.0 should be available this June; pricing details haven't been finalized. [GD]
Record Online Meetings in Pear Note
While Pear Note is primarily geared toward recording notes in the physical world, it's possible to use it to record things in the virtual world as well. For instance, you can use it to record and take notes on Skype calls. To do this:
- Download Soundflower and install it (along with the Soundflowerbed app that comes with it).
- Download LineIn and install it.
- Start Soundflowerbed, and select Built-in Output (or whatever output you'd like to listen to the conversation on).
- Start LineIn, and select your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the input and Soundflower (2ch) as the output, then press Pass Thru.
- Open Pear Note Preferences, select Recording, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio device.
- Open Skype Preferences, select Audio, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio output and your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the audio input.
- Hit record in Pear Note and make your Skype call.
This will allow you to conduct your Skype call while Pear Note records both your audio and the other participant's.
Visit Useful Fruit Software