USB Overdrive 1.2 Tracks Faster -- Alessandro Levi Montalcini has released USB Overdrive 1.2, a free update to his universal USB mouse and joystick driver (see "Maximizing the Mouse" in TidBITS-483). On the surface, USB Overdrive looks the same, but under the hood Alessandro replaced all the 68K code with faster PowerPC code for better performance, added mouse cursor movement for joysticks and gamepads, improved document scrolling in all applications, added a new Launch URL action, and implemented a new Auto Move option that moves the mouse cursor to the default button in dialog boxes. USB Overdrive now requires Mac OS 8.5 or later, with Mac OS 8.6 recommended and Mac OS 9 supported. USB Overdrive is $20 shareware and is a 294K download. [ACE]
Thoughtful, detailed coverage of the Mac, iPhone, and iPad, plus the best-selling Take Control ebooks.
Create TextExpander Snippets on the Fly
Make new snippets really quickly! First, set a hotkey combination for making new snippets:
- Go to TextExpander > Preferences > Hotkeys.
- Click the "Click to Set Hotkey" button next to "Create Snippet from Clipboard."
- Press a hotkey combination when prompted.
Once you have your hotkey, use it to make snippets with these steps:
- Copy desired snippet text to the clipboard.
- Press your hotkey combination. A window opens with your snippet's content filled in.
- Add an abbreviation to your snippet.
- Click Done.
- Maximizing the Mouse (31 May 99)