Free SoundJam 1.5 Update Improves MP3 Encoding -- Casady & Greene has released SoundJam MP 1.5, a free update to the company's popular MP3 player and encoder. SoundJam 1.5 offers numerous major improvements, with a focus on encoding capabilities, including variable bitrate (VBR) encoding (see "Making MP3s, Part 2" in TidBITS-505 for details), a "Faster" encoding mode, the option to play the converted track during encoding for real-time feedback on conversion quality, batch conversion of CDs, and better Internet streaming performance. SoundJam, which retails for $40 (electronic download) or $50 (physical format) requires at least a PowerPC 603 running at 100 MHz with Mac OS 7.6.1 or later. The update is a 1.6 MB download. [ACE]
Thoughtful, detailed coverage of the Mac, iPhone, and iPad, plus the best-selling Take Control ebooks.
Verify Turned-Off Apple Wireless Keyboard
Can't tell if you've turned off your Apple Wireless Keyboard to prevent it from waking up an iOS device or running down its batteries? Tap the Caps Lock key, and if it illuminates, the keyboard is on; otherwise not.
- Making MP3s, Part 2 (08 Nov 99)
Published in TidBITS 509.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Holiday Hiatus
- IBM Ships ViaVoice Speech Recognition
- The Tilery 4.1 Improves Display Options
- Anarchie 3.7 Rolls In Mac TCP Watcher
- StarNine Ships WebSTAR Server Suite 4.1
- Macworld Expo SF '00 Events List Online
- Macworld SF Netter's Dinner 2000
- Poll Preview: Digital Exposure Time
- Eudora 4.3 Public Beta Adds Free Usage Modes
- Macintosh-Windows Translation Dictionary
- Digital Camera Buying Guidelines, Part 2