USB Overdrive 1.3 Released -- Alessandro Levi Montalcini has released version 1.3 of USB Overdrive, a universal driver for USB mice, joystick, and game pads. (See "Pointing the Way with USB Mice, Part 2" in TidBITS-507 and "Maximizing the Mouse" in TidBITS-483 for more information.) New features include an accelerated scrolling option for scroll wheels, an absolute cursor movement mode for joysticks and game pads, and support for Apple's standard USB drivers, which increases compatibility with Mac OS 9 and the new Game Sprockets. With accelerated scrolling, the faster you roll the scroll wheel on a third party mouse, the faster the document scrolls. USB Overdrive is $20 shareware and a 300K download. [ACE]
Delete All Comments in Word in a Flash
You needn't clear comments in a Word document one by one. Instead, bring out the big guns to delete all of them at once:
1. Chose Tools > Keyboard Shortcuts.
2. Under Categories, select Tools.
3. Under Commands, select DeleteAllCommentsInDoc.
4. With the insertion point in the "Press new keyboard shortcut" field, press keys to create a keyboard shortcut. (I use Control-7)
5. Click the Assign button.
6. Click OK.
You can now press your keyboard shortcut to zap out the comments.
The steps above work in Word 2008; they likely work nearly as described in older versions of Word.
- Top Mac OS X Utilities: Restoring Third Party Capabilities (08 Apr 02)
- Pointing the Way with USB Mice, Part 2 (22 Nov 99)
- Maximizing the Mouse (31 May 99)