USB Overdrive 1.3 Released -- Alessandro Levi Montalcini has released version 1.3 of USB Overdrive, a universal driver for USB mice, joystick, and game pads. (See "Pointing the Way with USB Mice, Part 2" in TidBITS-507 and "Maximizing the Mouse" in TidBITS-483 for more information.) New features include an accelerated scrolling option for scroll wheels, an absolute cursor movement mode for joysticks and game pads, and support for Apple's standard USB drivers, which increases compatibility with Mac OS 9 and the new Game Sprockets. With accelerated scrolling, the faster you roll the scroll wheel on a third party mouse, the faster the document scrolls. USB Overdrive is $20 shareware and a 300K download. [ACE]
Avoid Naming Pear Note Files
If you create a lot of documents, coming up with a name for them can sometimes be a hassle. This is especially true now that search is becoming a more prevalent way to find documents. Pear Note provides a way to have the application automatically generate a filename so you can avoid this hassle. To use this:
- Open Saving under Pear Note's preferences.
- Select a default save location.
- Select a default save name template (Pear Note's help documents all the fields that can be automatically filled in).
- Check the box stating that Command-S saves without prompting.
- If you decide you want to name a particular note later, just use Save As... instead.
Visit Useful Fruit Software
- Top Mac OS X Utilities: Restoring Third Party Capabilities (08 Apr 02)
- Pointing the Way with USB Mice, Part 2 (22 Nov 99)
- Maximizing the Mouse (31 May 99)