Poll Preview: Clear as Mud -- The origins of HTML were focused on structure over layout, but as the Web became increasingly commercial the look of a Web page became ever more important. HTML evolved into more of a page layout language, multiple Web browsers each offered their own interpretation of HTML tags, and in many ways, we've ended up with a mess. It's commonplace for Web pages to display badly: perhaps the text size is too small or too large, the page is too large to fit in your Web browser window, scripts fail, or content appears to be missing. We've all evolved techniques for dealing with such annoying pages; this week's poll question asks, "What are your most common responses when you encounter a Web page that displays poorly?" Visit our home page to register your votes! [ACE]
Thoughtful, detailed coverage of the Mac, iPhone, and iPad, plus the best-selling Take Control ebooks.
Make PDFpen Your Default PDF Viewer
Want to open all your PDFs with PDFpen, rather than Preview or Adobe Reader? Follow these steps:
- Locate a PDF document in the Finder.
- Control-click the document.
- From the menu, choose Get Info.
- Scroll down the Get Info window to the Open with... pop-up menu.
- Choose PDFpen.
- Click Change All...
Published in TidBITS 522.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Sleep Memory Extension Blocks Laptop Bug
- Look Elsewhere for PowerBook (FireWire) Security
- ACI Buys StarNine Technologies
- Connectix Ships Virtual PC with Linux
- ACTION Files 1.5.2 Update Released
- Poll Results: Palm Before the Storm
- Which Handheld Belongs in Your Palm?
- Building Characters: A Brief History of the Web War