AOL 5.0 -- America Online has released AOL 5.0 for Macintosh, which includes a new calendar feature, the capability to retrieve messages you've accidentally deleted within the last 24 hours, support for Apple's text-to-speech technology to read messages aloud, and more. However, the new client still includes a customized version of Internet Explorer 4.0 as its Web browser, not the more recent Internet Explorer 4.5 or 5.0. AOL 5.0 requires a PowerPC-based Macintosh with at least Mac OS 8.1, 32 MB of RAM, and 30 MB of disk space, although AOL recommends a PowerPC G3 or better processor, 64 MB to 128 MB of RAM, and 100 MB of disk space. AOL 5.0 is a 10.4 MB download. [JLC]
Easily Change Firewall Settings in VirusBarrier X6
If you need different levels of protection on your laptop based on location, you can set up VirusBarrier X6's two-way firewall with multiple configurations. Whenever you change locations, switch easily to the firewall settings you want to use from the Intego menu, located in the menu bar. Make as many configurations as you want: for home, office, when you're on public Wi-Fi, and so on.
Published in TidBITS 529.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Government Recommends Microsoft Breakup
- FileMaker 5 Internet Security Holes
- Apple Offers Free iMovie Download
- Handspring Releases Palm Desktop 2.6
- Virtual PC 3.0.3 Update Released
- Dartmouth Spins Off Software
- Poll Preview: Collateral Spammage
- Modifying the Macintosh Startup Sequence
- Email Spam: The Bandwagon Plays On, Part 2