AOL 5.0 -- America Online has released AOL 5.0 for Macintosh, which includes a new calendar feature, the capability to retrieve messages you've accidentally deleted within the last 24 hours, support for Apple's text-to-speech technology to read messages aloud, and more. However, the new client still includes a customized version of Internet Explorer 4.0 as its Web browser, not the more recent Internet Explorer 4.5 or 5.0. AOL 5.0 requires a PowerPC-based Macintosh with at least Mac OS 8.1, 32 MB of RAM, and 30 MB of disk space, although AOL recommends a PowerPC G3 or better processor, 64 MB to 128 MB of RAM, and 100 MB of disk space. AOL 5.0 is a 10.4 MB download. [JLC]
Thoughtful, detailed coverage of the Mac, iPhone, and iPad, plus the best-selling Take Control ebooks.
Make PDFpen Your Default PDF Viewer
Want to open all your PDFs with PDFpen, rather than Preview or Adobe Reader? Follow these steps:
- Locate a PDF document in the Finder.
- Control-click the document.
- From the menu, choose Get Info.
- Scroll down the Get Info window to the Open with... pop-up menu.
- Choose PDFpen.
- Click Change All...
Published in TidBITS 529.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Government Recommends Microsoft Breakup
- FileMaker 5 Internet Security Holes
- Apple Offers Free iMovie Download
- Handspring Releases Palm Desktop 2.6
- Virtual PC 3.0.3 Update Released
- Dartmouth Spins Off Software
- Poll Preview: Collateral Spammage
- Modifying the Macintosh Startup Sequence
- Email Spam: The Bandwagon Plays On, Part 2