Poll Preview: Teneration X -- Companies like Apple go to great lengths when choosing product names: monikers like PowerBook, iBook, FireWire, and iMac are judged by how they sound, how they look, and how they'll be accepted in the marketplace. However, Apple's new operating system has many folks tongue-tied. Officially, the X in Mac OS X is a Roman numeral and according to Apple is pronounced "Mac OS Ten," though many people currently say "Mac OS Ex." Which do you find yourself using when talking about Mac OS X? Visit the TidBITS home page and cast your vote! [JLC]
Record Online Meetings in Pear Note
While Pear Note is primarily geared toward recording notes in the physical world, it's possible to use it to record things in the virtual world as well. For instance, you can use it to record and take notes on Skype calls. To do this:
- Download Soundflower and install it (along with the Soundflowerbed app that comes with it).
- Download LineIn and install it.
- Start Soundflowerbed, and select Built-in Output (or whatever output you'd like to listen to the conversation on).
- Start LineIn, and select your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the input and Soundflower (2ch) as the output, then press Pass Thru.
- Open Pear Note Preferences, select Recording, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio device.
- Open Skype Preferences, select Audio, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio output and your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the audio input.
- Hit record in Pear Note and make your Skype call.
This will allow you to conduct your Skype call while Pear Note records both your audio and the other participant's.
Visit Useful Fruit Software
Poll Preview: Teneration X
Set up short abbreviations which expand to larger bits of text,
such as "Tx" for "TextExpander". With the new custom keyboard,
you can expand abbreviations in any app, including Safari and