icWord 1.1 Adds Older Word Formats -- Panergy Ltd. has released icWord 1.1, an update to their $20 file viewer for Microsoft Word documents (see "icWord Reads and Prints Word Documents" in TidBITS-543). Along with a variety of improvements like better support for Word's built-in graphics, showing graphics in headers and footers, better display of tables, and support for Western European accents in Word 6 documents, icWord now has initial support for viewing the text of Microsoft Word 4.0, 5.0, and 5.1 documents. Although icWord can't yet display styles in those documents, it should let you at least read the contents. Since Word's file format hasn't changed since Word 98, icWord can also view Word 2001 files, complete with styles, layout, and graphics. icWord 1.1 is a 1.5 MB download for PowerPC-based Macs with Mac OS 8.1 or higher, or 3.3 MB for a universal installer that works with System 7.1 and 68K Macs. A 30-day trial is available. [ACE]
Avoid Naming Pear Note Files
If you create a lot of documents, coming up with a name for them can sometimes be a hassle. This is especially true now that search is becoming a more prevalent way to find documents. Pear Note provides a way to have the application automatically generate a filename so you can avoid this hassle. To use this:
- Open Saving under Pear Note's preferences.
- Select a default save location.
- Select a default save name template (Pear Note's help documents all the fields that can be automatically filled in).
- Check the box stating that Command-S saves without prompting.
- If you decide you want to name a particular note later, just use Save As... instead.
Visit Useful Fruit Software
- icWord Reads and Prints Word Documents (14 Aug 00)