Now Up-to-Date & Contact 4.0 Released -- Power On Software has released Now Up-to-Date & Contact 4.0, revamping the interface and improving performance of the widely used personal information manager. Power On has added new features with trademarked names like Grab-'n-Go (contextual menus for grabbing data from other applications, such as Microsoft Office 2001), AlphaBar (easy access to contacts), and QuickFilter (easy filtering of contacts within a list). This release also includes an assortment of new custom and Internet/phone fields, TCP/IP and DNS support, the capability to attach pictures to contacts, and more. The full version of Now Up-to-Date & Contact costs $120, and owners of any previous version can upgrade for $50; both options are available electronically. You can also download a free 30-day fully functional 10 MB demo (14 MB with documentation). The software runs under Mac OS versions 8.6 to 9.1 and under Mac OS X's Classic mode; owners will receive a free upgrade to a native Mac OS X version, which is projected to ship by the third quarter of 2001. [JLC]
Record Online Meetings in Pear Note
While Pear Note is primarily geared toward recording notes in the physical world, it's possible to use it to record things in the virtual world as well. For instance, you can use it to record and take notes on Skype calls. To do this:
- Download Soundflower and install it (along with the Soundflowerbed app that comes with it).
- Download LineIn and install it.
- Start Soundflowerbed, and select Built-in Output (or whatever output you'd like to listen to the conversation on).
- Start LineIn, and select your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the input and Soundflower (2ch) as the output, then press Pass Thru.
- Open Pear Note Preferences, select Recording, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio device.
- Open Skype Preferences, select Audio, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio output and your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the audio input.
- Hit record in Pear Note and make your Skype call.
This will allow you to conduct your Skype call while Pear Note records both your audio and the other participant's.
Visit Useful Fruit Software