Palm Gets Be in Its Bonnet -- Palm Inc. is buying Be Inc., the company started by former Apple executive Jean-Louis Gassee. Apple had eyed Be back in 1996 before acquiring Steve Jobs's NeXT instead. Palm will acquire Be's intellectual property and technology assets, which include the BeOS and BeIA operating systems (the latter built for Internet appliances), for $11 million in Palm stock, and Palm is making employment offers to Be's engineers. For its part, Be will retain its cash and cash equivalents, receivables, and certain contractual rights. In a bit of interesting wording, Be also keeps "rights to assert and bring certain claims and causes of action, including under antitrust laws," which some analysts speculate may presage legal action against the dominant operating system vendor, Microsoft. Palm cited its intent to use Be's technology to expand the Palm OS under its Palm Platform Solutions Group, which will be spun out as a wholly owned subsidiary at the end of 2001. [JLC]
Record Online Meetings in Pear Note
While Pear Note is primarily geared toward recording notes in the physical world, it's possible to use it to record things in the virtual world as well. For instance, you can use it to record and take notes on Skype calls. To do this:
- Download Soundflower and install it (along with the Soundflowerbed app that comes with it).
- Download LineIn and install it.
- Start Soundflowerbed, and select Built-in Output (or whatever output you'd like to listen to the conversation on).
- Start LineIn, and select your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the input and Soundflower (2ch) as the output, then press Pass Thru.
- Open Pear Note Preferences, select Recording, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio device.
- Open Skype Preferences, select Audio, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio output and your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the audio input.
- Hit record in Pear Note and make your Skype call.
This will allow you to conduct your Skype call while Pear Note records both your audio and the other participant's.
Visit Useful Fruit Software