Virtual PC 5.0.3 Released -- Connectix has updated Virtual PC to version 5.0.3, adding new features and fixing bugs. The program's new Password Protection feature prevents users from modifying a virtual machine's settings, exiting full-screen mode, or creating or deleting virtual machines. Virtual PC 5.0.3 also adds Sockets-Based Shared Networking (SBSN) under Mac OS X, improving access between computers on a network, and adds more control over COM port usage in the virtual machine. Addressing performance issues, Connectix also added CPU usage controls, which enable you to dictate how much processor time is used when Virtual PC is the foreground or background application. And for users whose keyboards lack a forward-delete key (such as PowerBooks and iBooks), a new Type CTRL-ALT-DEL menu item is available when Windows locks up. The 5.0.3 update is a free update for owners of Virtual PC 5.0 and later, and is a 10.1 MB download. [JLC]
Avoid Naming Pear Note Files
If you create a lot of documents, coming up with a name for them can sometimes be a hassle. This is especially true now that search is becoming a more prevalent way to find documents. Pear Note provides a way to have the application automatically generate a filename so you can avoid this hassle. To use this:
- Open Saving under Pear Note's preferences.
- Select a default save location.
- Select a default save name template (Pear Note's help documents all the fields that can be automatically filled in).
- Check the box stating that Command-S saves without prompting.
- If you decide you want to name a particular note later, just use Save As... instead.
Visit Useful Fruit Software