FileMaker Pro 6 Released -- FileMaker, Inc. has begun shipping FileMaker Pro 6, the latest version of the company's database software. New in this evolutionary release is the capability to import large batches of images easily, or under Mac OS X, to import images directly from digital cameras. The other significant addition is XML (eXtensible Markup Language) support, providing a common lingo for importing and exporting data with other applications. Shortly after the initial release, FileMaker made a 6.0v2 update available for download to fix a few bugs related to importing and exporting XML. FileMaker 6 costs $300, with upgrades priced at $150. FileMaker Pro Unlimited, which can publish databases on the Web to an unlimited number of users, is available for $1,000, with upgrades from FileMaker Pro 5 or 5.5 at $500. [JLC]
Thoughtful, detailed coverage of the Mac, iPhone, and iPad, plus the best-selling Take Control ebooks.
Create TextExpander Snippets on the Fly
Make new snippets really quickly! First, set a hotkey combination for making new snippets:
- Go to TextExpander > Preferences > Hotkeys.
- Click the "Click to Set Hotkey" button next to "Create Snippet from Clipboard."
- Press a hotkey combination when prompted.
Once you have your hotkey, use it to make snippets with these steps:
- Copy desired snippet text to the clipboard.
- Press your hotkey combination. A window opens with your snippet's content filled in.
- Add an abbreviation to your snippet.
- Click Done.