Last Call for Free Macworld Expo Passes -- Despite a great turnout from TidBITS readers last week, our friends at Peachpit Press still have some Macworld Expo exhibits-only passes left for January's show. To request a free pair of passes (normally $15 to $35), send an email message to <firstname.lastname@example.org> with your name and postal address. See you at the show! [JLC]
Copy Existing Filename to 'Save As' Field
While many utilities provide file naming automation, they're mostly overkill for those cases when you need to make small variations in file content while ensuring the documents group together in a "by name" list.
In the Save As dialog, the default name is the current document name. You can quickly change this to match any existing file.
1. Make the list of files the active element.
2. Click on a grayed-out filename, which momentarily turns black.
3. The Save As field now contains the filename you just clicked.
You can modify the name (adding, say, "version 3") or overwrite that existing file you clicked.
Published in TidBITS 710.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- TidBITS 2003 Holiday Hiatus
- DealBITS Drawing: Bare Bones Software Winners
- Blue World Releases Lasso Professional 7
- Take Control of Users & Accounts Released
- DealBITS Drawing: Insider Software
- Macworld Expo SF 2004 Events
- Music to Your Ears: 2003
- iPod Offerings, Part 2
- Hot Topics in TidBITS Talk/15-Dec-03