Apple Spreads Some Green for Eminem -- Last week, the Detroit Free Press reported that Apple Computer and superstar Eminem have reached an undisclosed settlement in the rapper's year-old lawsuit against the computer company. The suit centered on a 2003 Apple iPod/iTunes Music Store advertisement which featured a 10-year-old boy singing Eminem's Oscar-winning song "Lose Yourself" from the film 8 Mile. The ad ran on MTV for three months during the summer of 2003 and appeared on Apple's Web site, despite the fact that neither Apple nor ad agency TBWA/Chiat/Day successfully obtained Eminem's permission to use the song in the campaign. Eminem's label claimed the use of the song would amount to an endorsement - for which the rapper would expect fees "possibly in excess of $10 million" - and that Apple's misuse of the material would entitle him to "exemplary damages." The lawsuit also named MTV parent company Viacom as a defendant. [GD]
Go Back and Forth Fast in Preview
If you're reading a PDF in Apple's Preview software, and you follow a bookmark or an internal link to move around within the PDF, you can quickly return to where you were by pressing the keyboard shortcut Command-[ (that's Command-Left Bracket). Or, you can choose Go > Back.
The command works iteratively, so you can go back to just the previously viewed page or if you issue the command again, to the page before that, and so on. There's also an equivalent Go > Forward (Command-]).
- Eminem Rips, Mixes, and Burns Apple (01 Mar 04)
Published in TidBITS 780.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Apple Intermediate Codec 1.0.1 Improves Performance
- DealBITS Drawing: Stock WatchTower Winners
- DealBITS Drawing for PublicVPN.com
- iPhoto 5.0.2 Freeze on Launch in Tiger
- NetNewsWire Lite and Pro 2.0 Released
- Yahoo Swaggers Into The Music Subscription Fray
- Two Gigabytes or Bust
- Fontographer Spun to Fontlab
- Instructions from Outer Space: GPS Car Navigation
- Take Control News/16-May-05
- Hot Topics in TidBITS Talk/16-May-05