Apple Spreads Some Green for Eminem -- Last week, the Detroit Free Press reported that Apple Computer and superstar Eminem have reached an undisclosed settlement in the rapper's year-old lawsuit against the computer company. The suit centered on a 2003 Apple iPod/iTunes Music Store advertisement which featured a 10-year-old boy singing Eminem's Oscar-winning song "Lose Yourself" from the film 8 Mile. The ad ran on MTV for three months during the summer of 2003 and appeared on Apple's Web site, despite the fact that neither Apple nor ad agency TBWA/Chiat/Day successfully obtained Eminem's permission to use the song in the campaign. Eminem's label claimed the use of the song would amount to an endorsement - for which the rapper would expect fees "possibly in excess of $10 million" - and that Apple's misuse of the material would entitle him to "exemplary damages." The lawsuit also named MTV parent company Viacom as a defendant. [GD]
iPhone Calendar Starting on Sunday
Annoyed that the iPhone's Calendar app shows the weeks starting with Monday, although iCal (and most paper calendars) start on Sunday? Here's the answer: go to Settings > General > International and change the Region Format from English to United States.
Visit The iBlog.com
- Eminem Rips, Mixes, and Burns Apple (01 Mar 04)
Published in TidBITS 780.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Apple Intermediate Codec 1.0.1 Improves Performance
- DealBITS Drawing: Stock WatchTower Winners
- DealBITS Drawing for PublicVPN.com
- iPhoto 5.0.2 Freeze on Launch in Tiger
- NetNewsWire Lite and Pro 2.0 Released
- Yahoo Swaggers Into The Music Subscription Fray
- Two Gigabytes or Bust
- Fontographer Spun to Fontlab
- Instructions from Outer Space: GPS Car Navigation
- Take Control News/16-May-05
- Hot Topics in TidBITS Talk/16-May-05