Microsoft Internet Updates -- Microsoft recently released two new Mac Internet programs: Internet Mail and News 1.0 and the first beta of Internet Explorer 3.0. Internet Mail and News, a separate application (based in part on John Norstad's NewsWatcher and Marco Piovanelli's WASTE text engine), replaces the email and Usenet news functionality in Internet Explorer. Although its interface barely departs from its Windows cousin and is no competition for mature programs like Eudora, Internet Mail and News is speedy and offers reasonable functionality, including a subject filter for newsgroups, drag & drop text editing, and easily-organized mail folders. The download is about 800K.[GD]
Record Online Meetings in Pear Note
While Pear Note is primarily geared toward recording notes in the physical world, it's possible to use it to record things in the virtual world as well. For instance, you can use it to record and take notes on Skype calls. To do this:
- Download Soundflower and install it (along with the Soundflowerbed app that comes with it).
- Download LineIn and install it.
- Start Soundflowerbed, and select Built-in Output (or whatever output you'd like to listen to the conversation on).
- Start LineIn, and select your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the input and Soundflower (2ch) as the output, then press Pass Thru.
- Open Pear Note Preferences, select Recording, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio device.
- Open Skype Preferences, select Audio, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio output and your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the audio input.
- Hit record in Pear Note and make your Skype call.
This will allow you to conduct your Skype call while Pear Note records both your audio and the other participant's.
Visit Useful Fruit Software
- Internet Explorer 3.0 (13 Jan 97)