Eudora 6.2.3 Fixes IMAP Bug -- Qualcomm has released Eudora 6.2.3, a free update designed largely to fix the annoying IMAP bug that could result in lost messages (see "Qualcomm Acknowledges Eudora Bug" in TidBITS-781). Along with that bug, the new version squashes a variety of other bugs, adds a few x-eudora-settings for esoteric needs, and adds a checkbox to send mail through the SMTP submission port (587) in the Sending Mail settings panel. Also worth noting is that Qualcomm has relaxed their approach to requiring payment for new Paid-mode updates 12 months after the last payment; until further notice, updates that change only the third digit (the 3 in 6.2.3) won't trigger the need to pay for a new version even if more than 12 months have passed. Eudora 6.2.3 requires Mac OS X, is compatible with Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger, and is a 7.8 MB download. Finally, Qualcomm has announced that the next major version of Eudora will be a significant rewrite, which is necessary to take advantage of new technologies such as Spotlight and WebKit. [ACE]
Record Online Meetings in Pear Note
While Pear Note is primarily geared toward recording notes in the physical world, it's possible to use it to record things in the virtual world as well. For instance, you can use it to record and take notes on Skype calls. To do this:
- Download Soundflower and install it (along with the Soundflowerbed app that comes with it).
- Download LineIn and install it.
- Start Soundflowerbed, and select Built-in Output (or whatever output you'd like to listen to the conversation on).
- Start LineIn, and select your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the input and Soundflower (2ch) as the output, then press Pass Thru.
- Open Pear Note Preferences, select Recording, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio device.
- Open Skype Preferences, select Audio, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio output and your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the audio input.
- Hit record in Pear Note and make your Skype call.
This will allow you to conduct your Skype call while Pear Note records both your audio and the other participant's.
Visit Useful Fruit Software
- Qualcomm Acknowledges Eudora Bug (23 May 05)
Published in TidBITS 785.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Now Up-to-Date & Contact 5.0 Released
- Free Macworld Boston 2005 Passes
- How to Change Screen Capture Formats
- Call for TidBITS Translators!
- DealBITS Drawing: Rogue Amoeba's Audio Hijack Pro
- A TV Watching Monster
- You Type, It Typinates
- A Canary in the Network
- Trying My Hand at Poker: iPoker
- Hot Topics in TidBITS Talk/27-Jun-05