Set Per-Folder Views in the Finder
Tired of navigating to a particular folder and having to switch to List View every time? With Finder in Leopard, you can set viewing preference for each individual folder. Just navigate to it, and set the view the way you want (Column, List, Icon, or Cover Flow). Then choose View > Show View Options (Command-J) and in the window that appears, select the Always Open In... checkbox.
The Benefits of Membership
If you become a TidBITS member, you'll become a key supporter of the journalism we create every day — read our explanation of why this is important to us in our 2011 introductory article “Support TidBITS by Becoming a TidBITS Member” and the 2012 followup “TidBITS Needs Your Support in 2013: Join Our Membership Program.” But you'll also receive more tangible benefits, including member-only perks and discounts:
- A banner ad-free version of the TidBITS Web site.
- A full-text RSS feed (non-members get a summary-only feed).
- The option to receive new articles in email as soon as they are posted.
- The ability to post longer article comments, with live URLs.
- Recognition of your membership (with cool apple icons) when commenting.
- The option to receive an article's comments via email.
- A 30% discount on our Take Control ebooks.
- Special members-only invitations to TidBITS Presents live events.
Finally, we've worked with some of our favorite companies to bring members discounts on a variety of Mac-related products. At the moment, the discounts available to TidBITS members include the following (if you're already a TidBITS member, make sure you're logged in and visit your member benefits page to access coupon codes).
- 20% off all Smile products, including PDFpen, TextExpander, and DiscLabel
- 20% off all Intego products, including VirusBarrier X6, Internet Security Barrier X6, and Washing Machine 2
- 20% off LaunchBar
- 25% off all editions of DEVONthink, DEVONnote, and DEVONagent Pro
- 20% off all Rogue Amoeba products, including Airfoil, Audio Hijack Pro, Fission, and Piezo
- 25% off 1Password
- $10 off Default Folder X
- 20% off Keyboard Maestro
- 25% off Global Delight's Voila and Boom
- 25% off the Mac version of Password Wallet
- 20% off Fetch
- 25% off all Ergonis products, including PopChar X, KeyCue, Typinator
- Discounts on all Dejal products, including all editions of Simon, Time Out, Caboodle, and BlogAssist
- 20% off all C-Command products, including SpamSieve, EagleFiler, and DropDMG
- 20% off Mail Archiver X
- 25% off Solid PDF to Word for Mac
- 20% off CloudPull
- 20% off MarsEdit
- 50% off SoundBunny
- 10% off on all orders from TheMacBundles
To become a TidBITS member, click the Join TidBITS button to go to our payment page. If you have an account with us, use an email address registered to that account when paying, and it will be upgraded. Otherwise, we will create an account for you, and send details on logging in via email.
You can choose among five different levels of support: $20 , $50 , $100 , $250 , and $1000 . The first four levels default to manual renewals, but if going through the cart every year is a bother for you, you can choose to have them renew automatically on an annual basis, at which point you will be notified well in advance of the renewal and you can cancel any time. The $1000 level is a lifetime membership that includes a fine dinner with the staff if you make it out to Macworld Expo in San Francisco or with Adam and Tonya the next time you're in Ithaca. Seriously.