LaserWriter IIf/IIg ROM Upgrade
If you have problems with your LaserWriter IIf or IIg, you may be eligible for a free ROM upgrade. The upgrade fixes a bunch of problems, including:
- Inability to place the LaserWriter IIg in different zones or to rename it on an EtherTalk network.
- Inability to return proper font outlines to a limited number of font manipulation packages using the PostScript "pathforall" operator.
- Incompatibility with spoolers, resulting in incomplete print jobs, printing errors, and the inability to capture the printer on the spooler.
- Serial port errors because the printer echoes an extra, end-of-file indicator (Control-D). In this case, the printer shows the printer status as busy when actually it is idle.
- Difficulty connecting some third-party hard drives to the LaserWriter IIf/IIg. When using the LaserWriter Utility, the user cannot "see" the hard drive attached to the LaserWriter.
Other enhancements we’ve heard of include improvement of page centering, inclusion of ITC Zapf Dingbats, the name being saved correctly on when the power is cycled, and better downloading of TrueType fonts by the LaserWriter driver.
The upgrade comes from your Apple dealer (part number 076-0452), and you can get it (for free) if you have one of the above problems.
Mark H. Anbinder, Contributing Editor — [email protected]
Doug — [email protected]