Andy Stadler of Apple passed on a note that the Newton software update service is now online and accepting calls. There are two numbers, an 800 number for U.S. customers, and a normal number for overseas callers, although given that the Newton doesn’t currently understand languages other than English (or things like specialized mathematics terms), I can’t imagine that there are many overseas users yet. I hope to see dictionaries and support for other languages and specialized terms appearing soon, although I haven’t heard of much activity on that front. The numbers to call for the update are:
800/NEWTON9 — 707/226-8839
And, although these instructions will only help Newton users, I’m including them here so everyone can see how utterly easy it is (assuming the modem works properly) to get the update. I’d like to see similar services from Macintosh software companies as well – it could be cheaper and faster for many users.
Update Instructions — These instructions describe how to update your Newton software using a fax modem.
- Connect the fax modem to your Newton. (Plug the fax modem cable into Newton’s communication port. If you need more instructions, refer to the manual that came with your fax modem.)
- Turn on your Newton and the fax modem.
- Open the Extras Drawer.
- Tap In Box.
- Tap Receive, and then tap Enhancement.
- In the space for a phone number, write 1-800-639-8669 (1-800-NEWTON9), or double-tap the space and tap out the phone number in the phone keypad that appears. For calls outside of the United States, please use 707-226-8839.
- Tap Call. The connection is made and installation of the update begins. Installation takes about a minute.
- Tap Restart when installation is complete. (Restarting does not erase any of your personal information.)
- After Newton restarts, open the battery compartment and press the Reset button. (Pressing Reset does not erase any of your personal information.)
If a problem occurs, press Reset again and try receiving the enhancement again. As always, if you need technical support, call 800/SOS-APPL.