If you find yourself regularly needing to find and enter special characters in different fonts, that task has now become easier in Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, with Ergonis Software’s release of PopChar X 5.3. The new release supports colored symbols in the new Apple Color Emoji font; these can now be browsed and searched for, and inserted as characters in applications that know how to handle color fonts. Some additional tweaks, such as reduced CPU load in the background and better compatibility with Lion’s desktop spaces, round out the update. (€29.99 new, free update, 2.3 MB, release notes)
Thoughtful, detailed coverage of the Mac, iPhone, and iPad, plus the best-selling Take Control ebooks.
Create TextExpander Snippets on the Fly
Make new snippets really quickly! First, set a hotkey combination for making new snippets:
- Go to TextExpander > Preferences > Hotkeys.
- Click the "Click to Set Hotkey" button next to "Create Snippet from Clipboard."
- Press a hotkey combination when prompted.
Once you have your hotkey, use it to make snippets with these steps:
- Copy desired snippet text to the clipboard.
- Press your hotkey combination. A window opens with your snippet's content filled in.
- Add an abbreviation to your snippet.
- Click Done.