Newton and Windows users will be thrilled to hear that version 2.0 of the Newton Connection Kit for Windows, announced in March, is finally shipping. Registered users of 1.0 should automatically receive free upgrades over the next few weeks. If you own the Newton Connection Kit for Windows but don't receive an upgrade by mid-August, contact the Newton Fulfillment Center at 800/242-3374. (Users outside the U.S. should contact their local Newton reseller.) If you haven't yet taken the plunge, the new package is available (item H0029LL/B) for $99. [MHA]
Extend Mac OS X's Screenshots
Mac OS X has a variety of built in screenshot methods. Here's a look at a few that offer more versatility than the basic full-screen capture (Command-Shift-3):
• Press Command-Shift-4 and you'll get a crosshair cursor with which you can drag to select and capture a certain area of the screen.
• Press Command-Shift-4-Space to select the entire window that the cursor is over, clicking on the window will then capture it. The resulting screenshot will even get a nice drop shadow.
• Hold down the Space bar after dragging out a selection window to move your selection rectangle around on the screen.
• Hold down Shift after dragging out a selection to constrain the selection in either horizontal or vertical orientation, depending on the direction of your drag.
• Hold down Option after dragging out a selection to expand the selection window around a center point.
Visit plucky tree