Handspring Offers $100 Rebate For Old PDAs -- On 07-Jun-01, Palm OS-compatible handheld vendor Handspring announced a trade-up program that offers users a $100 rebate on the thin Visor Edge handheld in exchange for nearly any old PDA, whether or not it works. The company will send Visor Edge purchasers a $100 rebate check upon receipt of the rebate form, original product code from the Visor Edge's box, and a qualifying old handheld. Acceptable trade-ins include Palm OS handhelds; Pocket PC and Windows CE handhelds; Symbian, Casio, Psion, or Sharp handhelds, and even old Apple Newtons, if you still have one of those around that you don't use. (Current Handspring Visor owners can send in their serial numbers to get a $100 discount on a Visor Edge and keep their current Visor.) Handspring says it has made arrangements to recycle the old devices. The offer is open only through 01-Jul-01 to residents of the U.S. and Canada, and all mail requesting the rebate or packages containing the old handhelds must be postmarked by 31-Jul-01. [MHA]
Extend Mac OS X's Screenshots
Mac OS X has a variety of built in screenshot methods. Here's a look at a few that offer more versatility than the basic full-screen capture (Command-Shift-3):
• Press Command-Shift-4 and you'll get a crosshair cursor with which you can drag to select and capture a certain area of the screen.
• Press Command-Shift-4-Space to select the entire window that the cursor is over, clicking on the window will then capture it. The resulting screenshot will even get a nice drop shadow.
• Hold down the Space bar after dragging out a selection window to move your selection rectangle around on the screen.
• Hold down Shift after dragging out a selection to constrain the selection in either horizontal or vertical orientation, depending on the direction of your drag.
• Hold down Option after dragging out a selection to expand the selection window around a center point.
Visit plucky tree