Handspring Offers $100 Rebate For Old PDAs -- On 07-Jun-01, Palm OS-compatible handheld vendor Handspring announced a trade-up program that offers users a $100 rebate on the thin Visor Edge handheld in exchange for nearly any old PDA, whether or not it works. The company will send Visor Edge purchasers a $100 rebate check upon receipt of the rebate form, original product code from the Visor Edge's box, and a qualifying old handheld. Acceptable trade-ins include Palm OS handhelds; Pocket PC and Windows CE handhelds; Symbian, Casio, Psion, or Sharp handhelds, and even old Apple Newtons, if you still have one of those around that you don't use. (Current Handspring Visor owners can send in their serial numbers to get a $100 discount on a Visor Edge and keep their current Visor.) Handspring says it has made arrangements to recycle the old devices. The offer is open only through 01-Jul-01 to residents of the U.S. and Canada, and all mail requesting the rebate or packages containing the old handhelds must be postmarked by 31-Jul-01. [MHA]
Record Online Meetings in Pear Note
While Pear Note is primarily geared toward recording notes in the physical world, it's possible to use it to record things in the virtual world as well. For instance, you can use it to record and take notes on Skype calls. To do this:
- Download Soundflower and install it (along with the Soundflowerbed app that comes with it).
- Download LineIn and install it.
- Start Soundflowerbed, and select Built-in Output (or whatever output you'd like to listen to the conversation on).
- Start LineIn, and select your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the input and Soundflower (2ch) as the output, then press Pass Thru.
- Open Pear Note Preferences, select Recording, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio device.
- Open Skype Preferences, select Audio, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio output and your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the audio input.
- Hit record in Pear Note and make your Skype call.
This will allow you to conduct your Skype call while Pear Note records both your audio and the other participant's.
Visit Useful Fruit Software