Gentium Goes Open Source -- Gentium is a lovely and free Unicode font designed by Victor Gualtney (at the University of Reading, in England) and now distributed by SIL International, a far-seeing organization that has long played an important and generous role in linguistic computing and related causes. Gentium contains a full range of characters for the Latin alphabet with all variants and diacritical marks, as well as Greek (Ancient and Modern) and phonetic symbols, making it a splendid choice for those wishing to represent Latin-based writing systems and transliterations, as well as for classicists and others. The news is that SIL has switched to a new "Open Font License" structure, making it possible for users to modify Gentium and to contribute to its further development. Those interested in languages, fonts, and the open source movement will find this to be a significant and commendable development. [MAN]
Record Online Meetings in Pear Note
While Pear Note is primarily geared toward recording notes in the physical world, it's possible to use it to record things in the virtual world as well. For instance, you can use it to record and take notes on Skype calls. To do this:
- Download Soundflower and install it (along with the Soundflowerbed app that comes with it).
- Download LineIn and install it.
- Start Soundflowerbed, and select Built-in Output (or whatever output you'd like to listen to the conversation on).
- Start LineIn, and select your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the input and Soundflower (2ch) as the output, then press Pass Thru.
- Open Pear Note Preferences, select Recording, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio device.
- Open Skype Preferences, select Audio, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio output and your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the audio input.
- Hit record in Pear Note and make your Skype call.
This will allow you to conduct your Skype call while Pear Note records both your audio and the other participant's.
Visit Useful Fruit Software
Published in TidBITS 807.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Last Call for Holiday 2005 Gift Ideas
- Security Update 2005-009 Released
- One for the Mac, Nineteen for Windows
- Bare Bones Updates Text Editors
- EyeTV 1.8.4 Offers One-Step Export to iPod Video
- DealBITS Drawing: GarageSale 1.9
- RealNetworks Unveils Browser-Based Rhapsody
- A Better Way to Install Applications
- Pandora Beats iTunes for Holiday Music
- Buying My Canon PowerShot S2 IS
- Take Control News/05-Dec-05
- Hot Topics in TidBITS Talk/05-Dec-05